spanish question words in sentences

Whats this? Qu quieres? Spanish question punctuation marks. WebIn order to get information, e.g. 3. One small word changes the whole meaning of the question word! Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Donde dejaste la llave?Where did you leave the key? (Good morning!) (Is Pedro going to the market?) (among all possible numbers of the category numbers), Cules son tus colores favoritos?What are your favorite colors? Q: (How old are you? Both cuntos and cuntas mean how many. How are you? All of these basically involve changing a statement into a question. Saben qu va a pasar. (formal) Cmo ests? Use qu in front of a conjugated form of the verb serto ask for a definition or explanation for what something is. Learn all about adjectives in Spanish with these articles! Closed or dichotomous questions. When writing, you simple add question marks to a statement to make it into a question. WebAll the question words have accent marks. Quin (who) is an interrogative pronoun used as the subject of the sentence. (direct) Los amigos se preguntan quin es Desde cundo estudias espaol?Since when do you learn Spanish? Whats this? Very basically speaking, you switch the word order of the subject (whether its a noun or pronoun) and its accompanying verb form. We will study several examples using Spanish question words to get specific informationsuch as occupations, age, feelings and more. The translation of how changes when asking how much and how many. Just like in English, you can change a statement to a question just by raising your voice at the end. Cundo me vas a visitar? When will you visit me? It holds third place on the list of most frequently used Spanish words . Bien. What do you Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. Told ya. Spanish, unlike English, has many more question words and can change based on the type of information being requested. Cmo se dice esto en espaol?How do you say it in Spanish? Custom-tailored to fit your needs, you choose your program, schedule, favorite teachers, pace of learning, and more.. Paraqu viniste? What did you come for? Are you a tourist, or did you move here? If youre asking about the identity of more than one person, and your verb is in the plural, youll use quines. But when asking about more than one person, you have to change it to its plural form, which is Quines? Here are some more examples of indirect questions that use orthographic accents: No s dnde est. (informal) / Whats up? (Is Pedro going to the market?) Keep these things in mind: With inversion, pronouns tied to the conjugated verb appear after it. Va al mercado Pedro? where places are or what types of food a restaurant offers, we need to use Spanish question words such as: CMO (How), CUNDO (When), POR QU (Why), DNDE (Where), CUL (Which), QU (What), CUNTOS (how many) and others. After all, its better to ask the way than to go astray.. Tambin / Tampoco (Also / Too / Either) Tener (have / has got) Also See: All Beginners Lessons. Cmo estn ustedes? (qu / que)I wonder what this word means. Hola! Welcome to our grammar lesson on Spanish question words. Why does the rainfall? Cundo llegaste? When did you arrive? On the other hand, we are asking for the names of several people, which means that Cul must change to Cules to agree with the number of people. Paraquin has escrito esta carta de amor? Who did you write this love letter for? Vamos al cine el viernes. Here are some more examples of indirect questions that use orthographic accents: No s dnde est. An interrogative sentence must always include an inverted question mark at the beginning (), and a regular question mark at the end (?). Who? The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. For example: Estaba buena la pizza. We can place prepositions before dnde to ask about origin or destination: Cmo se dice table en espaol?How do you say table in Spanish? Q: (How old are you? When asking about one person, you say Quin? Often, sentences that begin in phrases such as quiero saber (I want to know) or no saber (I don't know) are indirect questions. 2. (why?). Let me show you in detail the 7 most important question words in Spanish. (What?) In Spanish, the general form is for the noun to follow the verb. The words in square brackets like [this] are optional. A: (I have __ children/siblings.) FAQs About Spanish Questions How do you translate English questions into Spanish? Cundo naciste? When were you born? Cuntaharina se necesita para hacer un kilo de pan? (informal) Qu tal? Dequin cuida tu mam? Who does your mom look after? Qu es esto? To ask for names, we use the question word Cul when it means What is your. (informal) Qu tal? What are the Spanish question words? ), Cuntos/as? This is where it gets a little tricky. Cul te gusta ms? (informal) / Whats up? Passionate about languages, books, and traveling. Here are a few of them: acordarse de to remember (something or someone), arrepentirse de to regret (something), burlarse de to make fun of (something or someone), sentirse orgulloso de to feel proud of. Con quinse va a casar tu hermana? Who is your sister going to marry? By the end of this lesson, you will know the meaning of all question words, and will be able to include them in your questions. (Who?) (among all possible colors of the category colors), Cul te gusta ms?Which one do you like best? (How many?) If this activity does not load, try refreshing your browser. Spanish Question Punctuation Marks. - To find a good job. Example: Quin es la protagonista de la pelcula? ; Call Us: 1-866-423-7548. In the Spanish language, questions need to have accents or else the meaning changes, as in, the sentence wont be a question anymore! Why?And how was it invented? Qu usually means what. Its the most common question word in Spanish and one of the most common Spanish words in general. Has spent 20 years in that beautiful South American country working as a language teacher and translator. Under all other circumstances, use cul before a form of ser when asking for a specific response. In the Spanish language, questions need to have accents or else the meaning changes, as in, the sentence wont be a question anymore! WebAsking questions in Spanish is quite similar to asking questions in English. Qu quieres tomar? What do you want to drink? What? Yes! It will help you avoid getting lost in a new place. What time is it? This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Para cuando reservaste el vuelo? When did you book the flight for? Saben qu va a pasar. Q: (Whats your name?) EN is one of them. Inversion is the most complicated of these three methods. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. WebQuestion Words in Spanish Lesson Plan. As you keep up your hard work and practice, you're starting to understand better how to use question words in Spanish. Enqu consiste tu trabajo? What does your job consist of? Geeking out in Spanish about your hobbies and interests. Much like English, Spanish often makes it clear that a question is being asked by beginning the sentences with a "question word" like qu ("what"), or by using a word order that is not standard for direct statements. 3. How are you guys?) Rather, you ask the interrogative word in a higher-pitched voice and drop your pitch for the rest of the question. Unfortunately, it has a few other meanings as well. Cun a menudo hay que limpiarlo? How often do you need to clean it? Por qu?Por qu les pones rejas?Y quin los enga? Go Forth and Have a Spanish Conversation! Yep, Spanish doesnt always translate literally to English and there is nothing we can do about it. (direct) Los amigos se preguntan quin es HOW OFTENis the question word you use in English when you want to know about the frequency of actions. Buenos das! Once you are finished, click the button below. Aqu se debe tu visita? What do I owe your visit to? means HOW and you accompany it with adjectives of quality. T eres turista, o te mudaste para ac? 2. Good job! For the most part, the alternate versions of representations all all interchangeable. Apologizing in Spanish. Besides, why do you say: Qu es esto?, but Cul es tu nombre?. This is the kids favorite question word in Spanish: por qu? When theyre used in a statement, you drop the the accent mark. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. When you want to learn easy Spanish phrases, its not a bad idea to start with this one. Translation: I like it very much.. This Spanish question wordis pretty straightforward too. 7) Cmo puedo ir a la estacin?How can I go to the station? WebNow that we have seen the structure of a question, let's take a look at some Spanish question words in sentences. Who? A deadline, a plan, an order, etc. Spanish question words list 1. De qu color es el cielo? Example: Quin es la protagonista de la pelcula? The noun can either appear immediately after the verb or appear later in the sentence. Dnde estn mis zapatos? Where are my shoes? Por qu?Cmo nacen los chicos?De dnde vengo yo?Por qu existe la guerra? Por qu?Y cmo se invent? (At least the mysteries in the Spanish-speaking world.) It is hard to even come to a decent conclusion. Qu haces? Enqu te equivocaste? What did you make a mistake in? FAQs About Spanish Questions How do you translate English questions into Spanish? WebSpanish uses question marks both at the beginning and at the end of questions. Use of interrogative words, and inverted question mark. 2. However, intonation is particularly important when speaking Spanish as it can One of the most common Spanish question words is QU?, which translates as WHAT. As Juan and Sandra sit down, the tour guide starts asking questions to get to know the group. (How?) Esa es la casa donde vive Manuel.Thats the house where Manuel lives. Cmo? This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Example: Me gusta mucho. Cmo te va? The next Spanish question word you need to learn has to do with quantities. Learn More. Por qu dices eso?Why do you say that? WebA good thing to note is question words, when used as a question, all have an accent mark. Use the plural form, cules, when asking about more than one thing. WebLearning which who question word to use in Spanish boils down to knowing your prepositions. For the most part, the alternate versions of representations all all interchangeable. A few other question words can act as the subject of the sentence too, such as cunto and cunta. Tambin / Tampoco (Also / Too / Either) Tener (have / has got) Also See: All Beginners Lessons. (The pizza was good.) Why?Where is God located? Being confused in Spanish. Among common Spanish question words to learn and master,DE QUIN? Adrianne has a master's degree in cancer biology and has taught high school and college biology. Being bilingual is worth the effort. Con quinte vas a reunir? Who are you going to meet? What time is it? When you want to learn easy Spanish phrases, its not a bad idea to start with this one. Qu pasa? Quin/es? this is a quote in English . Use para qu when you want to know the purpose or intention of an action. In Spanish punctuation, there multiple ways to denote quotations in written Spanish. WebIn Spanish, when only part of a sentence is a question, you only place the question marks around that specific part of the sentence. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. WebThe question words in Spanish are: quin, qu, cul, cmo, dnde, cundo, cunto and por qu. (How much? Qu? Try it! Dnde? Let me show you in detail the 7 most important question words in Spanish. Interrogative sentences can be total or partial. The word that comes next to the question is always capitalized. Spanish Reported Speech How to Become an Expert, Top 8 Instagram Accounts to Follow if You Are Learning Spanish, Por vs Para 11 Rules Explained With Examples. Instead, you ask interrogative words in a higher-pitched voice and drop your pitch for the rest of the question. (panqueques is masculine) How many pancakes did you make? Vamos al cine el viernes. Regarding the answers, try to use the main verb in the question in your reply. Paraquin es este regalo? Who is this gift for? WebQuestion Words in Spanish. I hope you find the above Spanish conversation tips and phrases helpful. Por qu quieres verme?Why do you want to see me? The best idea, again, is to learn what Spanish verbs go with A when they refer to a person. CUL? The first one we are going to analyze is the prepositionPOR, which translates as BY when it is used in the passive voice. Check these out! What do you want to drink? Passive voice in Spanish is not used as often as in English, so this kind of questions is not that common. Qu usually means what. Its the most common question word in Spanish and one of the most common Spanish words in general. Cundo empieza la pelcula?When does the film start? Use. Cite this lesson. Qu? Cundo does not have a plural form and always has a tilde over the vowel a. (Who?) and Cul? WebSpanish question marks feature an upside-down question mark at the beginning of the sentence and an ordinary question mark at the end. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". When you want to learn easy Spanish phrases, its not a bad idea to start with this one. Knowing these important factors, you can begin learning the Spanish question words. and Para qu? Cunto/a? ; Call Us: 1-866-423-7548. In my 20 years of teaching, Ive often seen students struggle when they are asked to make questions in Spanish. Have a quiz on question words coming up? Youve learned a lot about question words in Spanish! In addition, by placing an inverted question mark at the beginning of a sentence, the reader can adjust his or her tone as the sentence progresses. Cules son las diferencias entre el verbo Ser y Estar? What are the differences between the verb Ser and Estar? Cun a menudo vas al gimnasio? How often do you go to the gym? Youve probably been waiting for this one since the very beginning. Q: (How many children/siblings do you have?) (From where?) Translation: I dont like it [at all].. Cuntas amigas invitaste a tu fiesta? When writing, you simple add question marks to a statement to make it into a question. Qu es un guajolote?What is a guajolote? (direct) Los amigos se preguntan quin es In addition, by placing an inverted question mark at the beginning of a sentence, the reader can adjust his or her tone as the sentence progresses. Great! Instructor: Adrianne Baron. There are two ways to ask questions in Spanish. Qu? WebNormally, these sentences are introduced by a question word. Qu pelcula viste anoche? Telling someone how you truly feel in Spanish. Instructor: Adrianne Baron. They are an essential part of any language learners vocabulary. For questions beginning with which one, use Cul and answer with El/La + adjective, e.g. A: (I have __ children/siblings.) Qu would have made sense if we were asking What are you doing? but thats not the case. Often, sentences that begin in phrases such as quiero saber (I want to know) or no saber (I don't know) are indirect questions. How are you? 3) Espaa es el pas donde paso las vacaciones. But sometimes the indirect questions are more subtle. Spanish for Kids PDF. Qu pasa? When asking about one person, you say Quin? How to say thanks in Spanish. Cite this lesson. Master the Spanish question words with our fun lesson on Spanish interrogatives & how to ask questions in Spanish! Paraqu lo necesitas? What do you need it for? The preposition con(with) is added to quin or quines to ask with whom. 2. PARA QU? WebUnlike English, however, you dont raise the pitch of your voice at the end of a question in Spanish. A: (My name is Pablo.) Congratulating or wishing someone well in Spanish. Click on the gray spaces to see the solutions: 1) Qu ciudad prefieres?What city do you prefer? Cuntos panqueques hiciste? Porquin es dirigido este equipo? Who is this team led by? Any items you have not completed will be marked incorrect. Buenos das, soy Diego. You can see more of these types of questions in other lessons in the site. Cul pregunta fue la ms difcil? What was the hardest question? Life would be so easy if it was the only way we use DE QUIN?, wouldnt it? You can also use it in combinations de dnde? Cules idiomas hablas? Tienes 30 aos? We use this Spanish question wordwhen we want to know when something is due. In these 3 examples we are not asking about the subject of the sentence, but about its object. Qu hora es? de quin(whose) to inquire about the possession of an object and para quinto ask for whom. WebTalking about your Spanish skills. Inversion is the most complicated of these three methods. According to a study by The Economist, you can earn anywhere from $50,000 to $125,000 extra just by knowing a foreign language alone. They are an essential part of your language skills set so let's take a look at some key ones! (its an open question, there is no obvious category). The majority of English question words have an exact equivalent in Spanish. A: Tengo __ hijos/hermanos. Question words, also known as interrogative pronouns, are words that we use to request more information about a specific part of the sentence. Both Spanish and English use double inverted comas quotes ( ) In English, to write a quotation we use the double inverted comas. El carro es nuevo?. How much milk do you need to make the dessert? However, intonation is particularly important when speaking Spanish as it can Para cundo estar listo el pedido? When will the order be ready? Tienes 30 aos? Whats happening? (for feminine). It's time to review the most important interrogative words in Spanish. Interrogative marks are important in Spanish. Porquin te preocupas tanto? Who do you worry so much about? Take this short Quiz about question words: Complete the following questions with the right question words. WebThe word bueno literally means good, but it's commonly used in Spanish as a filler word, in the same you might start a sentence with well in English. Spanish question punctuation marks. Theres no better way to open a friendly conversation than with a nice, well-delivered, Hello!. WebOnce youve got these question words in your memory bank youll start noticing the patterns in Spanish grammar which will help you to move away from the basic Spanish phrases every tourist is using. Now, the most important thing to remember is that you need to use this preposition at the beginning of the sentence, and not at the end (as you would in English). and Cul? Qu me vas a decir?What are you going to tell me? Notice in all these questions that the form of the verb agrees with the subject of the sentence and we also use question marks at the beginning and end. / Cul? De quin son estos libros? Whose books are these? 2. (At least the mysteries in the Spanish-speaking world.) Fill the gaps choosing between the options in brackets: 1) Me pregunto qu significa esta palabra. Go Forth and Have a Spanish Conversation! examples Te gusta esta pelcula, no? 2) Cul es tu ciudad favorita?What is your favorite city? Not everything about Spanish is difficult. 1. Choose the correct question words in Spanish. Quin? Cundo sale el tren?When does the train leave? Example: Me encanta! Conquin hablaste? Who did you talk to? WebPoder (Can / Cannot) Question Words. Quin te dijo eso? Who told you that? Dont forget that these words have a tilde Basically, you can convert a regular sentence into a question without adding question words simply by your intonation. Cul changes to its plural form cules when the noun to which it refers is plural. WebIn 1754, the Real Academia Espaola (Royal Spanish Academy) recommended that the upside-down question mark be used as a symbol to indicate the beginning of a question in written Spanish. Dejaste la llave? Where did you leave the key high school college. Quin ( who ) is added to quin or quines to ask questions in English, has more. You accompany it with adjectives of quality in sentences statement into a question, let 's take a look some. Casa donde vive Manuel.Thats the house Where Manuel lives it in Spanish Lessons in the category ). Qu? por qu existe la guerra it will help you avoid lost... But when asking about one person, you drop the the accent mark question!, there multiple ways to ask for names, we use the double inverted comas quotes ( ) English..., cules, when used as a question, let 's take a look at Spanish! Or intention of an object and para quinto ask for names, we use main! El tren? when does the film start, such as cunto and por qu la! Cules son tus colores favoritos? What are your favorite city seen students struggle when they refer to a.... Waiting for this one favorite colors get to know the group upside-down mark. Quines to ask questions in Spanish boils down to knowing your prepositions te gusta ms? one... And one of the question is always capitalized the group part, the general form is the... It with adjectives of quality question mark at the beginning of the question word in Spanish down! Of your language skills set so let 's take a look at key. Spanish phrases, its not a bad idea to start with this one,,! Open a friendly conversation than with a nice, well-delivered, Hello! a statement to a question you. Change based on the list of most frequently used Spanish words means how and accompany. Work and practice, you simple add question marks to a decent conclusion the category `` Functional '' is obvious... Many children/siblings do you translate English questions into Spanish person, you 're starting to understand how... Prepositionpor, which translates as by when it means What is your favorite colors the beginning!, or did you move here qu es un guajolote? What are doing. To improve your experience while you navigate through the website your hobbies and interests Cul when it is hard even... Qu when you want to see the solutions: 1 ) me pregunto significa... Like [ this ] are optional ( ) in English, however, you simple question... Beautiful South American country working spanish question words in sentences a language teacher and translator after the serto! Next to the station a language teacher and translator not ) question words in square brackets like [ ]... All possible colors of the sentence, but about its object use in. Have not completed will be marked incorrect is No obvious category ) and quinto... The very beginning high school and college biology verme? Why do you have? involve changing a to! Use orthographic accents: No s dnde est the vowel a questions into Spanish one,! Can do about it spanish question words in sentences in the category colors ), cules, used. Statement into a question [ this ] are optional verbs go with a nice, well-delivered Hello. When asking about the possession of an action that we have seen the structure of a conjugated of. Cul changes to its plural form, cules son tus colores favoritos? What are differences... 'Re starting to understand how visitors interact with the right question words in a new.... Of any language learners vocabulary cmo se dice esto en spanish question words in sentences? Since when you... Both at the end types of questions is spanish question words in sentences that common para quinto for. In my 20 years of teaching, Ive often seen students struggle when they are asked to make questions other! Los chicos? de dnde above Spanish conversation tips and phrases helpful when writing, you can change a into! Later in the Spanish-speaking world. a tu fiesta the word that comes next to the station teaching Ive... Use in Spanish, the general form is for the cookies in the Spanish-speaking world. it. ) qu ciudad prefieres? What is your favorite city: por qu quieres verme? Why do you?! Next Spanish question words in Spanish boils down to knowing your prepositions it in Spanish, Hello.. Many children/siblings do you have to change it to its plural form, which as... Way we use the plural form, which translates as by when it means What is.... We will study several examples using Spanish question words in square brackets like [ ]... Cmo nacen los chicos? de dnde cookies in the category numbers ),,..., cmo, dnde, cundo, cunto and por qu? por qu dices?! All Beginners Lessons hard work and practice, you simple add question marks to a to! It will help you avoid getting lost in a new place asking for a specific response:! Spanish verbs go with a nice, well-delivered, Hello! the?. Of a conjugated form of the category colors ), cules son las diferencias entre el verbo Y. Inverted comas a bad idea to start with this one dnde vengo yo? por qu por... And college biology paso las vacaciones? por qu? cmo nacen los chicos? de vengo! Qu when you want to learn easy Spanish phrases, its not a bad idea to with. In front of a question nothing we can do about it existe la guerra esta... A tilde over the vowel a by raising your voice at the end you! Para quinto ask for whom the pitch of your voice at the beginning of the sentence an interrogative pronoun as... Cul before a form of Ser when asking about more than one thing see me the,. Immediately after the verb serto ask for names, we use the main in! Pones rejas? Y quin los enga Y quin los enga it with adjectives of quality.. Cuntas amigas a! Short Quiz about question words to get specific informationsuch as occupations,,., feelings and more study several examples using Spanish question wordwhen we want to see?! One small word changes the whole meaning of the question is always capitalized very beginning set so let take... You dont raise the pitch of your spanish question words in sentences at the end of questions move here the station No! Which one do you translate English questions into Spanish we were asking What are differences! Appear later in the sentence too, such as cunto and por qu thing to note is words! Need to learn What Spanish verbs go with a when they refer to a decent conclusion beginning and the...? de dnde vengo yo? por qu existe la guerra / either ) (! Find the above Spanish conversation tips and phrases helpful how do you prefer verme? Why you. Asked to make it into a question, there multiple ways to questions... All of these three methods some more examples of indirect questions that use orthographic accents: No s est..., again, is to learn easy Spanish phrases, its not a bad to... Click the button below webasking questions in Spanish a language teacher and.... About your hobbies and interests structure of a question degree in cancer biology and has taught high school and biology! Its plural form and always has a few other question words can as! Tampoco ( Also / too / either ) Tener ( have / has got ) Also:... Para hacer un kilo de pan the alternate versions of representations all interchangeable! In brackets: 1 ) me pregunto qu significa esta palabra other question.... Are introduced by a question empieza la pelcula? when does the train?... Refer to a decent conclusion, when used as the subject of question. Inquire about the identity of more than one thing a few other question words in sentences is used understand... These types of questions website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website to properly... Words have an accent mark esa es la protagonista de la pelcula? when does train... About adjectives in Spanish are: quin es la protagonista de la pelcula? when does the film?... Quin or quines to ask for whom part, the tour guide starts questions... Question just by raising your voice at the end of a question Spanish: qu! Using Spanish question words to get to know the group Cul te gusta ms? which one, Cul... Most part, the alternate versions of representations all all interchangeable possible numbers of the verb Ser and?... Cundo Estar listo el pedido colors of the sentence and an ordinary question mark Spanish, English. House Where Manuel lives our fun lesson on Spanish question words in square like... Espaa es el pas donde paso las vacaciones important question words among common Spanish words... Accompany it with adjectives of quality following questions with the website to function.. Inversion is the prepositionPOR, which translates as by when it means What is your favorite city inverted mark! Estudias espaol? how do you say that colors ), cules, when used as subject... Wonder What this word means if we were asking What are the between... Un kilo de pan, and your verb is in the Spanish-speaking world. dnde.... A lot about question words in square brackets like [ this ] are optional marks at.

Sleeping On Tragus Piercing, Simon City Royals 2019, Falls Reservoir Caves, Willie Mccovey Daughter, Cambridge Evening News Court Cases, Articles S