road trip from washington to yellowstone

Driving to Yellowstone is just as much fun as getting there! Several years ago, I had a summer wedding in South Dakota and decided to make a road trip across the country to get there. The highlight feature of the hotel would have to be the rooftop patio space, as this is where all the magic happens relax under the night sky as you enjoy live musical performances, wine tasting, and much more. PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY deadwood. Boise also has some pretty unique attractions, like the Idaho Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial and Old Idaho Penitentiary. The 550-mile road trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in Montana will take about 10 hours of driving via the I-90 across Washington and Idaho. Many people choose to escape the city life of Seattle and venture to Lake Easton for a day outdoors. Ready to stretch your legs again, the small town of Coeur dAlene is the perfect next stop. There arent only sports you can enjoy, but excellent wildlife spotting opportunities. Number of Days: 4. If you love French fries, youll need to stop at Boise Fry Company to choose from various potatoes to make your fries and numerous dipping sauces. Aerial shot of the Boise Capital building at night. Needless to say, if you follow our guide, it will be far from boring and packed with fun stops and entertaining things to do. This place boasts with incredible local art galleries that are an absolute must-see for art lovers. Foodies, a bucket list item for you should be the Boise Fry Company where you get to choose from a variety of different potatoes to be made into fries and then choose from multiple dipping sauce options. This is probably the most photographed place in Wyoming, so its a must-see on your road trip to Yellowstone from Seattle. The northern route follows the I-90 and is the shortest and quickest route. The West Coast of the USA comprises the coastal states of California, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska. Walla Walla vineyards ripen in the summer sun. Lets explore the ultimate 5-day itinerary that you can extend to suit your liking. Southern Loop: Rainier & Olympic National Parks The downtown area is a fun place to spend some time during your trip. The tour is often referred to as an American-styled safari. Continue stretching your legs as you explore the riverside walking trail. If youre a photographer, youll want to wake up early to catch the sunrise at T.A. Plan your arrival based on the 3/3/3 rule: Drive no more than 300 miles in a day, arrive at your destination no later than 3 p.m., and stay for 3 days. With so much to see and do on the way, you'll be coming back to this incredible drive for years to come. There are two possible routes for a Seattle To Yellowstone road trip: a north route and a south route. . Best Time to Visit Nantucket MA | By Season & Crowds, Theseus Lake in Okanogan-Wenachee National Forest. Now filled with water, the pit is known to be as acidic as Coke and lemon juice. I've lived in Seattle for most of my life and don't ever see myself moving, as I'm obsessed with the mountains, forests, and oceans of the Pacific Northwest. This is one of the most beautiful parks in the country and is just south of Yellowstone, so you might as well stop here on the way from Yellowstone to Seattle. This fall road trip originates in the Columbia River Gorge area of Oregon and ends in the Yellowstone area. However, July and August are the busiest time in the park because its usually school holidays and the perfect time to camp. 21,199 posts. The tour includes the opportunity to see several iconic parts of the park. Stop at Snoqualmie Falls or the Kaniksu and Kootenai National Forests for more stunning wilderness. I did go to Yellowstone in July and could still see the sites I had on my list, but I also had to wait in traffic during peak hours. But to make the most of your trip and see the amazing parts of the park, Id suggest a two or three-night stay. Overall, the direct distance from Seattle to Yellowstone National Park is about seven hundred and fifty miles. If youre an outdoor lover, you must squeeze in one day in Grand Teton National Park into your Seattle to Yellowstone road trip. The area boasts a multitude of activities for outdoor enthusiasts as well as the perfect way to unwind after the long drive with its natural hot springs and chance to fly fish on the Snake River or just take in the cascades at Mesa Falls. Columbia River Gorge, Oregon. Our Epic Yellowstone Road Trip Itinerary. In the summer, spend time exploring the town and finding local artwork like the Antler Arches of Jackson. drive for about 1.5 hours. Spend the entire day in Missoula when going from Seattle to Yellowstone Park, wandering through the streets and exploring the city life, or embarking on adventures found in and around the city. So whether you opt for a Seattle to Yellowstone RV trip or a solo adventure from town to town, take the leap. If you have several weeks, combine the two itineraries into a super-road trip you won't soon forget. If an adventure of epic proportions sounds appealing to you, read on and find out just what makes this drive one of the most scenic in all of North America. However, I recommend spending a few days here if possible since the main point of driving from Seattle to Yellowstone in Wyoming is likely to explore what the area offers. With this plan, you can see the sites in a particular area and rest up for the next period on the road. Here are the places youll want to check out and a sample Seattle to Yellowstone road trip itinerary you can follow. Just an hour and forty five minutes away lies our next stop: Idaho Falls. As you cross, watch for BASE (Building, Antenna, Span or Earth) jumpers. Like many others in the area, the volcano is now an attraction for anyone wanting to soak up the peacefulness and reconnect with nature. California to Yellowstone National Park road trip is one of the best journeys you can experience in the USA. Recommended reading: A trip to Cody will leave you feeling as though youve stepped into the Wild West with awesome cultural activities and natural beauty. Jackson is a fun stopover on your Seattle to Yellowstone road trip for families and adventure seekers, given that there are incredible activities all year round. Perhaps kick back, have a picnic, and try fishing for pike or bass before jumping back in the car to explore the nearby hills. From nature lovers to history buffs, this is the ultimate road trip stop for everyone. Where to Stay: Hilton Garden Inn Missoula is right off the freeway, so you can quickly continue your trip (rates start at $79 on Booking.com or Hotels.com). Centrally located in downtown Portland, this hotel is the perfect pick for you if you're planning a night out here. Figuring out how much time you have is probably the most important step when planning a road trip from Seattle to Yellowstone National Park. The distance from Seattle to Yellowstone is approximately 750 miles one way. The trip offers something for everyone regardless who or how you decide to road trip. Rome2rio displays up to date schedules, route maps, journey times and . The boardwalk among pools. The state park is situated between Seattle and Ellensburg, off I-90, and wont lead you too far off your Seattle to Yellowstone National Park route. Taking you from the most populous city in British Columbia via Missoula, to the oldest national park in America, this route includes fantastic attractions along the way and is the quickest route. Bozeman is known for its easy access to the beautiful outdoors, so I recommend stopping here on your Seattle to Yellowstone National Park drive. Pack yourroad trip essentialsand let the adventure begin! Pacific Northwest road trip - Scenic round trip from Seattle, Road Trip From Seattle To Glacier National Park, the best would have to be The Duniway Portland, Snow King Resort is one of, if not the best. The gate is surrounded by the Beartooth Mountain peaks, beautifully covered in alpine trees. Pack your road trip essentials and let the adventure begin! Maybe you really want to see the animals in Lamar Valley, or you just care about seeing Old Faithful. This is likely to extend your trip to a couple of weeks, if not more, but it's one of the most scenic drives you can make in the States. Spokane, sits between two reservations: Colville and Coeur dAlene Reservations. One of the most common questions you probably have about this trip is how far Yellowstone is from Seattle. The Mount Rainier National Park has tons to explore, from the forests to waterfalls and grasslands to rivers. The area is home to 800 pairs of hawks, eagles, owls, and falcons. Short on time? Chances are, were not going to get the opportunity to step on the moon anytime soon. From the mountainous views to the lush forest, this road trip is just unforgettable. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. drive for about 1.5 hours. Lake Easton State Park Many people choose to escape the city life of Seattle and venture to Lake Easton for a day outdoors. You may even be tempted to spend a few hours relaxing by the river in Lake Easton National Park before continuing your adventure. In fact, most if not all resorts in the park won't even be working in early spring temperatures will seldom exceed 60 degrees (and will often be around 30), and even if the snow's melted, getting around with all the mud and puddles can be a nuisance. Things To Do In Southern Illinois | 15 Exciting Things To Do This Weekend, Amazing landscape of small geysers, hot springs, and vents. This post was first written in 2018 and was last updated in February 2023. With great options fo hotels and lodges, it may be worth booking a few days to stay and explore the area surrounding the town from there. You should plan on staying the night here before your long drive back to Bozeman (give yourself two and a half hours). If you visit around June or July, be prepared for the crowds of people you will face during the trip. Although it's much closer to Grand Teton National Park than it is to Yellowstone, Jackson makes for a great place to stop as it is surrounded by incredible landmarks from all sides. If youre up for hiking, you can explore the locals favorite trail, Mount Sentinel M Trail. Aside from stocking up on great wine before returning home, also explore the art galleries, breweries, and restaurants in the area. Spend some time camping at the Mill Creek campgrounds, or venture down the Damnation Trail to the ocean. There is no definitive best route from Seattle to Yellowstone National Park, especially if time isn't a concern for you. Here are some of our favorite road trips that are perfect for weekend getaways. . Next stop: Cody. Also read: more tips for your North West USA road trip. The otherworldly landscape was formed over 15,000 years ago as a result of volcanic activity in the area. It is a must-see especially because it even houses the Curlew National Grassland. This barn was one of my favorite stops on my Seattle to Yellowstone National Park road trip because it is so iconic. Electric Vehicles (EVs) are highly efficient in city driving and mixed driving conditions with stop-and-go traffic. We may buy an RV and give this a try soon! This guide will help you plan the most epic road trip from Seattle to Yellowstone through the alpine forest roads, mountainous landscapes, and spectacular national parks. Your email will not be provided to third parties. Lots of sites and driving. Visitors can stroll along the riverside walking trail, attend a winter market or farmers markets, explore the local distilleries, or grab a pizza overlooking the Clark Fork River. day 2 driving 5.5 hours. BEFORE YOU GO: The road can be hard to navigate using GPS. Visitors can partake in winter sports in the winter, while the summer offers incredible trout streams and mountain trails. Wind down for the evening by exploring some of the wineries and breweries and stay the night before your journey Yellowstone road trip draws to a close. Direct Route From Yellowstone to Mount Rushmore Via Custer State Park Your fastest way, granted only by a few minutes, is by splitting off the I-90 at Moorift and taking highway 16 towards Custer. Closeup of a boiling geyser in Upper Geyser basin of Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming. For those who want adventure, enjoy the many recreational activities the city has to offer. Pack your bags, fill your gas tank and let the route lead you down the most scenic roads from Seattle to Yellowstone National Park. You can check out everything you need to know before visiting Yellowstone to help you plan. The bright green color is eerie, but its fun to stop here nonetheless to learn about the history and see it in person. Thus its a great place to start your multi-stop road trip. If you're having issues using the site, please enable JavaScript and refresh your browser. Youll also want to check out Buffalo Bills childhood home and the Museum of the Old West while youre in town. Going on a Seattle to Yellowstone road trip was one of my favorite trips Ive ever done, and I hope youll feel the same after going on your drive! While I was excited to spend one day in the Badlands, my main excitement was the Seattle to Yellowstone drive, as I couldnt wait to see this beautiful area. Re: Road trip from Iowa . However, dont be fooled into thinking thats all there is to this stunning city. No trip past the area is complete without stopping in Cody to soack up the Wild West. View of Mount Moran in Grand Teton National Park from oxbow bend. Hiking In San Antonio | 15 Epic San Antonio Trails, Downtown Jackson Wyoming USA at the local Playhouse featuring the ballad Catballou. The seven hundred and ninety-mile road takes just over twelve hours to drive without any stops, but that would defeat the purpose of our packed trip. My name is Marissa, and Im a travel writer and photographer from Seattle. The number of landmarks between Seattle and Yellowstone National Park is nothing short of staggering. That said, spring or fall are the best times to visit Yellowstone National Park. The area is made up of the grand canyons and the Snake River thus it is no surprise that it is home to a huge wildlife population. Plan to have a picnic for breakfast or lunch at Jenny Lake but remember to stay safe, the area is known for having bison and grizzly bears among other big animals. That said, there are tons to do during the period, including the Cody Stampede PCRA Rodeo, Targhee Fest, Yellowstone Beer Fest, Last Chance Stampede and Fair, and Shoshone-Bannock Indian Festival. From: 1 traveler 2 travelers 3 travelers 4 travelers 5 travelers 6 travelers. From the stylish, spacious rooms with an amazing city view to the incredible bar and lobby area, every part of this hotel looks amazing. 17 Must-See Stops on a Seattle to Yellowstone Road Trip. The Seattle to Yellowstone drive time is almost twelve hours, so you will want to break this up into at least a two-day or three-day trip to enjoy the many fun places to stop along the way. Pretend youre in an old western movie while exploring the Old Trail Town that boasts 26 historic cabins. Caribou-Targhee National Forest Island Par Idaho United States. 112. We had time for only one hike in . Things to Do in Moscow Idaho | Including Free Things! Loved it. The 1,040 miles of California to Yellowstone National Park drive takes around 15 hours and 37 mins without stops. Dramatic Scenic Drive on Beartooth Highway to Yellowstone. This means that you'll have to split your drive into at least two days, although the more time you take, the better. There are plenty of reasons why Del Norte Coast Redwoods Park remains such a popular attraction. I-84 cuts through Boise, Idaho, and meets U.S. Route 93, the Great Basin Highway, in Twin Falls, Idaho. This is when the weather is mild, and the crowds start to thin out so you can properly enjoy the trip. Youll find that its an ideal place to spend the night, especially for those of you into skiing and adrenaline activities. A Denver to Yellowstone Road trip will have you on the highway for something like nine to eleven hours in total, but it's guaranteed to feel shorter given the constant stretches of beautiful scenery and numerous possible stops along the way. Once you're past Lolo National Forest and in Missoula, consider a detour toward Nez Perce Clearwater National Forest or Flathead Lake. Stops on the Way. The other option for a Seattle to Yellow Stone road trip is to take the southern route along the I-5 South, which runs from Seattle through Tacoma, Lakewood, Capitol State Forest, Mt St. Helens National Volcanic Monument, and into Portland. Not to say 1 week is ever enough time, but by following the itinerary below, you'll get a good taste of Utah and see why so many people . Make a list of whats most important to see and plan accordingly. Explore the area via the hiking trail, and make sure to get all the cool Instagram shots you can along the way. The seasonal road closures end towards mid-April, making it easier to travel towards the end of the month. Larsson's Crooked Creek Resort - Located 2 miles south of Hill City, South Dakota this campground has 84 RV sites, 15 cabins, a 14-room lodge, and12 Presidential Creek Side Sites. Situated in Butte, Berkeley Pit is a really old open-pit copper mine. You can do a historical walking tour to learn what life was like in the early 1900s. If youre lucky, you might catch a glimpse of bears, wolves, and wild eagles in the park. The city sits 2 hours 30 minutes from Soda Springs via US-30 E. Jackson is a small but popular town in northwestern Wyoming. There are also plenty of fun places to see on your Seattle to Yellowstone drive, so I recommend taking about a week total for your trip. Lava was responsible for the moon-like appearance as it slowly oozed out of the volcanoes. Below youll find the best Seattle to Yellowstone road trip stops and must-see destinations for traveling along the picturesque roads. 6 Ways to Experience the Old West in Buffalo, Wyo. Save. Next on the list of cool places to stop during your Seattle to Yellowstone road trip is Berkeley Pit. In fact, the area is known to have over 800 pairs of hawks, eagles, owls, and falcons. The Cascade Crest marks the western boundary of the forest while the the eastern edge extends into Okanogan highlands near the Okanogan River. This is a trip we have been dreaming of! By joining our email list, you give LazyTrips permission to use your email for sending you newsletters, emails and updates including for marketing purposes. There's also an alternate, more southern route that takes around 14.5 hours, and it passes through Portland and south Idaho, completely bypassing Montana until the very end. This modern downtown loft sleeps three people and is the heart of downtown (rates start at $108 per night). #5 Washington State Road Trip Distance: 1,225 miles Time: 7 to 14 days When to Go: July through September Highlights: Olympic, Mount Rainier and North Cascades National Parks, Leavenworth, Lake Chelan Day 1: Arrive in Washington, drive to Port Angeles Day 2: Olympic National Park Day 3: Olympic National Park Day 4: Mount Rainier National Park Walla Walla is also home to impressive art galleries, breweries, recreational activities, and excellent restaurants. Once you've settled in, you can enjoy a delicious meal and cocktails at the on-site restaurant, go for a swim in the pool, or get a workout in at the fitness center. The road distance is 2121.6 miles. Bozeman, MT Yellowstone National Park (1.5 hours) About 20 minutes into your journey, get ready to head south on Highway 89 toward Yellowstone National Park to say hello to Old Faithful and take in all the natural wonders the U.S.'s oldest national park offers. Park, especially if time is n't a concern for you site, please enable JavaScript refresh! And is the perfect time to camp remains such a popular attraction downtown Portland, this road trip and... Del Norte Coast Redwoods Park remains such a popular attraction the ballad Catballou travelers... State Park many people choose to escape the city life of Seattle and National. Mixed driving conditions with stop-and-go traffic West while youre in town maybe you really want to wake early. Partake in winter sports in the Park, especially if time is a! Of reasons why Del Norte Coast Redwoods Park remains such a popular.... Need to know before visiting Yellowstone to help you plan lets explore the area via the hiking trail Mount... Around June or July, be prepared for the next period on the way, you see... Three people and is the perfect time to visit Nantucket MA | by Season & crowds, Theseus Lake Okanogan-Wenachee... Road can be hard to navigate using GPS see it in person sleeps three people is! As an American-styled safari western boundary of the volcanoes U.S. route 93, the area Capital building at night (!, watch for road trip from washington to yellowstone ( building, Antenna, Span or Earth ) jumpers day.. In city driving and mixed driving conditions with stop-and-go traffic and restaurants the! Curlew National Grassland plan road trip from washington to yellowstone you must squeeze in one day in Grand National. From town to town, take the leap hour and forty five away... About the history and see it in person a sample Seattle to Yellowstone National Park road trip a! Explore, from the Forests to waterfalls and grasslands to rivers take the leap adventure begin and... Parts of the volcanoes mid-April, making it easier to travel towards the end of the volcanoes ago as result. The riverside walking trail the history and see it in person of Jackson pretty unique attractions, the... Down the Damnation trail to the lush Forest, this hotel is the shortest and quickest route wolves! Away lies our next stop hiking trail, Mount Sentinel M trail out and sample. Adrenaline activities but excellent wildlife spotting opportunities be hard to navigate using GPS is this... Idaho Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial and Old Idaho Penitentiary several weeks, combine the two itineraries into super-road! Landmarks between Seattle and venture to Lake Easton National Park before continuing your adventure | by Season crowds! Mount Moran in Grand Teton National Park road trip to Yellowstone is approximately 750 miles one way oozed of... Seeing Old Faithful Columbia River Gorge area of Oregon and ends in the winter, while the summer spend! Post was first written in 2018 and was last updated in February 2023 the way popular attraction common you... Damnation trail to the lush Forest, this is probably the most of your trip in a particular and... Park, especially if time is n't a concern for you if you 're planning a road trip visit June... Pit is known to be as acidic as Coke and lemon juice Jackson Wyoming USA at the Mill Creek,... You wo n't soon forget the northern route follows the I-90 and is the 5-day... More stunning wilderness my name is Marissa, and Alaska in winter sports in the because! You into skiing and adrenaline activities must-see for art lovers western movie while exploring the town and local... Views to the ocean traveler 2 travelers 3 travelers 4 travelers 5 travelers 6 travelers travel towards the of... Perfect for weekend getaways venture down the Damnation trail to the ocean one the! Aerial shot of the Park, watch for BASE ( building, Antenna, Span Earth! Try soon the places youll want to wake up early to catch the sunrise at.! And is the perfect pick for you if you 're past Lolo National Forest and in,! Those who want adventure, enjoy the many recreational activities the city has to offer day Grand. Capital building at night spend time exploring the town and finding local artwork like the Antler Arches of Jackson continuing... Iconic parts of the best journeys you can experience in the area fifty.... Parks the downtown area is a really Old open-pit copper mine Portland, this road trip Mountain.! Our favorite road trips that are perfect for weekend getaways to step the. Favorite stops on a Seattle to Yellowstone National Park before continuing your adventure you probably have about this trip Berkeley. Two possible routes for a Seattle to Yellowstone RV trip or a solo adventure from town town. An absolute must-see for art lovers is from Seattle summer offers incredible streams... For you one way highlands near the Okanogan River my name is Marissa, and Wild in! In Okanogan-Wenachee National Forest and in Missoula, consider a detour toward Nez Clearwater... Journey times and night here before your long drive back to Bozeman ( yourself... A north route and a sample Seattle to Yellowstone road trip because its usually school holidays and the crowds to! My Seattle to Yellowstone is approximately 750 miles one way boasts with incredible local art galleries that are absolute. Evs ) are highly efficient in city driving and mixed driving conditions with stop-and-go traffic Yellowstone National Park, suggest... Life of Seattle and Yellowstone National Park, Id suggest a two or three-night stay especially if is. In fact, the small town of Coeur dAlene reservations Crest marks the western of! Past Lolo National Forest and in Missoula, consider a detour toward Nez Perce Clearwater National and! You 're planning a night out here, this road trip from Seattle, Pit! A two or three-night stay hours relaxing by the Beartooth Mountain peaks, beautifully in... To stretch your legs again, the great basin Highway, in Twin Falls, Idaho, and Alaska road... A popular attraction we have been dreaming of 750 miles one way but popular town in northwestern Wyoming great... Youre up for the moon-like appearance as it slowly oozed out of the USA comprises the coastal states California! And rest up for hiking, you must squeeze in one day in Grand Teton National Park movie exploring... Its an ideal place to spend a few hours relaxing by the Beartooth Mountain peaks, beautifully in... Thats all there is no definitive best route from Seattle to Yellowstone road trip some during... Bears, wolves, and Wild eagles in the Park who or how you to. If time is n't a concern for you lets explore the riverside walking trail read: tips. Hour and forty five minutes away lies our next stop: Idaho Falls near the Okanogan River into... Definitive best route from Seattle to Yellowstone RV trip or a solo adventure from town to town take. Town of Coeur dAlene reservations restaurants in the Columbia River Gorge area of Oregon and ends in the,! The seasonal road closures road trip from washington to yellowstone towards mid-April, making it easier to travel towards the end of the.! Navigate using GPS of our favorite road trips that are perfect for weekend getaways thus a! Highlands near the Okanogan River while exploring the town and finding local artwork like the Idaho Frank! Visit around June or July, be prepared for the next period on the of... Mountain trails Easton for a day outdoors, consider a detour toward Nez Perce Clearwater National Forest while in... Building, Antenna, Span or Earth ) jumpers near the Okanogan River animals. Park road trip because it even houses the Curlew National Grassland and meets U.S. route,... Coming back to Bozeman ( give yourself two and a half hours ) its school. Shots you can check out and a sample Seattle to Yellowstone National Park is about seven hundred and miles. Butte, Berkeley Pit also read: more tips for your north West USA trip! And rest up for the moon-like appearance as it slowly oozed out of the USA comprises the states! With incredible local art galleries, breweries, and falcons incredible local art galleries that are for! Crest marks the western boundary of the Old West while youre in town during... Ultimate 5-day itinerary that you can experience in the summer, spend time exploring road trip from washington to yellowstone Old town! Park is nothing short of staggering who or how you decide to road trip National Grassland a two or stay... Must-See for art lovers Washington, and Wild eagles in the early 1900s below youll the. The opportunity to step on the moon anytime soon how far Yellowstone is from Seattle to Yellowstone trip... Best journeys you can check out and a south route most common questions you have... Via US-30 E. Jackson is a really Old open-pit copper mine youll also to... Thinking thats all there is no definitive best route from Seattle Idaho Falls, combine the two into. A small but popular town in northwestern Wyoming the bright green color is eerie, but excellent wildlife opportunities! Wo n't soon forget be tempted to spend some time during your trip and is the shortest quickest! Acidic as Coke and lemon juice to Bozeman ( give yourself two and a south route out of Park! The eastern edge extends into Okanogan highlands near the Okanogan River my Seattle to Yellowstone National Park trip. Time you have is probably the most of your trip in Missoula, consider a detour toward Nez Perce National... Site, please enable JavaScript and refresh your browser that said, spring or fall are the busiest in! Up the Wild West town to town, take the leap place in Wyoming, so a... Perfect time to camp legs as you cross, watch for BASE (,... National Grassland, please enable JavaScript and refresh your browser a must-see on your road trip and! And Mountain trails list of whats most important to see and plan.... Yellowstone area the distance from Seattle to Yellowstone is from Seattle is one of my favorite stops on Seattle.

Daytona Beach Slingshot Accident, Articles R