picture of zinsco panel

He's doing a great job. "How to plan and install electric wiring for homes, farms, garages, shops," Montgomery Ward Co., 83-850. Research is underway. Federal Pacific Electrical Panels, often known as FPE Stab Lok panels, are a type of electrical panel manufactured by Federal Pacific. Im copying other Langstaff & Sloan Inc. staff in case they have any additional thoughts. This website discusses the electrical, fire, and shock hazards associated with Zinsco electrical components, by inspectapedia.com.moderator (mod). The first Zinsco panels contained copper bus-bars and copper breaker clips. The reason I need to verify the buss rating is I am looking to possibly get a solar system and would like to use my existing panel. Here (above and below) we show external and internal identification labels for this 400-Amp Zinsco electrical panel. Yes, this house is indeed in Fairfax. @Robert shaner, Watch out: do NOT try to open up your panel nor to remove circuit breakers yourself. MOB20(20-40)C (Indoor) Mod.2, 225 AMPS Max. Experts Have Identified Two Major Reasons Experts report that Zinsco circuit breaker panels may have two major faults that could pose a danger: 1.) SKU:I37023078. 200 amps - $1,300 to $2,600. The other reason is the Zinsco breakers are the only problem and seeing that the panels can't be returned, a Zinsco panel recall isn't practical. And there have never been any recalls initiated on the Zinsco products. The following panels are considered out of date or have been involved in an electrical panel recall: Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) Stab-Lok panels. at the best online prices at eBay! Contact us if you have photos of a Frank Adams electrical panel or other details. Your Wenatchee and Chelan Professional Real Estate, Home and Structural Pest Inspection Service. Are you able to determine this from the attached pictures? That would be useful additional information to document. In 1963, Zinsco started manufacturing a new R38 240 volts twin circuit breaker that could make contact on both bus bars. The unsafe electrical panels sold by Zinsco were prevalent between the 1960s and 1970s. This panel, in photos above, uses a Zinsco type bus design. Will snapmore pix when I can drag myself away from computer. The panel labels may identify it as "Sylvania", Sylvania-Zinsco, or GTE-Sylvania-Zinsco, but Zinsco panels are unsafe, and we urge homeowners to consider a replacement. Mr. Funderburk is a NACHI member and home inspector who can be reached at, Thanks to reader Richard Sims for photographs of a 400A Zinsco Electrical panel 3/6/2007, Thanks to reader Judd Stiff for photos of a Zinsco-Sylvania meter base 3/6/2007, Our recommended books about building & mechanical systems design, inspection, problem diagnosis, and repair, and about indoor environment and IAQ testing, diagnosis, and cleanup are at the. We have no performance data on Unicorn circuit breakers on which to claim that the breaker and bus performance was better or worse than the Zinsco original. Note: appearance of your Comment below may be delayed: if your comment contains an image, photograph, web link, or text that looks to the software as if it might be a web link, your posting will appear after it has been approved by a moderator. No. Here's the average pricing of electrical panels depending on amps: 100 amps - $800 to $1,200. Federal Pacific Electric panels were produced from the mid-1950s well into the 1980s. LK-15 If the panel you describe is of the classic Zinsco design described in these pages there is risk of breaker-bus arcing and the other hazards described for Zinsco. Panel info: 20-5X(10-20) C Mod. Zinsco breakers are known to not trip in the presence of overcurrent or short circuits. I should point out that the new Commander panels appear to be a good products. We have no relationship with advertisers, products, or services discussed at this website. This is accomplished, in brief, by providing a breaker having a switch unit by which shunt current paths of different resistance can be selectively connected in parallel across the current path in which the current is sensed for activating the trip mechanism at a predetermined current level. It looks as if some, but not all of these Zinsco RC38 breakers have their toggles tied together/, These Zinsco circuit breaker toggle or "handle" colors identify the ampacity of the individual circuit breakers as follows. It's possible that the forensic engineer Dr Aronstein would be willing to do some testing on these breakers once you're finished replacing this panel. It appears that the present Unicorn Industries has nothing to do with the old meter base in your photo; the current Unicorn describes themselves: But in your case we can see the familiar label in your photographs. Most of the Zinsco electrical panels and circuit breakers were installed in the 1960s and 1970s. Use GTE Sylvania Circuit Breakers Type Q, QC, R38, RC38,and HRGF. Without more investigation of the breakers, panel bus, and circuit involved one cannot say for certain if this arc-flash damage was due to a defect in the circuit breaker, panel bus, connections, or some other issue. Replacing the panel can help improve the electrical systems overall performance and ensure it functions correctly. This is a detail unique to Zinsco circuit breakers and panels even when marketed under other trade names. At below left your fourth photo shows the GTE-Sylvania label, while at below right in your fifth photo of a GTE-Sylvania Zinsco panel are other labels including the UL listing sticker for this product. "Simplified Electrical Wiring," Sears, Roebuck and Co., 15705 (F5428) Rev. Just below, the photo of a recent GTE Sylvania Zinsco circuit breaker burn-up is shown here courtesy of Jeff Weissman and observed, he reports, in a GTE-Sylvania electrical panel. Please see ELECTRIC PANEL AMPACITY for more detailed help in answering your question. Your photos confirm that this is a 225A Sylvania-branded Zinsco-design electrical panel of the type that we discuss and at risk of breaker to bus arcing, overheating, damage. Help, my parents bought a new solar system and since then my head hurts. WA Home Inspector Advisory Licensing Board. Zinsco type Q, Qc, QCN, Q24, Cat. Below: more examples of labels found in GTE-Sylvania-Zinsco electrical panels. That identifies this as a Zinsco design. If you have a property with a Zinsco box installed, this might lead to your insurance coverage being canceled. However, when looking into the safety of your electrical panel, it's important to look beyond . Since Milbank still uses a Zinsco design breaker, prefer to keep them on my "do not buy" list. On 2018-08-18 It was also sold under the Kearney brand name. This site includes photos of what happens if an electrical panel fails. Although sometimes brand names change at the border. An expert who opens the electrical Watch out: your photo shows live voltage terminals exposed: don't touch or you can be shocked or killed. see IDENTIFY ZINSCO SYLVANIA METER BASE and see GTE-SYLVANIA-ZINSCO FAILURE MECHANISM, as well as ZINSCO FAILURE REPORTS. It has Zinsco type rc38al circuit breaker in it. They have stopped making Federal Panels anyway.Im not sure what the best policy is here, but this much is true: I should simply say yes change these panels, but I know for sure someone will challenge that and it would be better to have reasons. One of my staff accidentally cut the wrong wire. At the bare minimum, every Zinsco panel should be fully evaluated by a licensed and qualified electrician for signs of corrosion and failure. Never insert any tool nor your fingers into the interior of an electrical panel. Federal Pacific Electric panels may not meet today's updated safety codes. However, they can still be found in older homes and properties built before 1990. So don't assume that all-black breakers can be excluded from this unsafe Zinsco circuit breaker group. I'm interested in seeing sharp and more-detailed photos of any evidence of the details of burning in the panel that you were describing. Third party vendors may produce "zinsco replacement" breakers but testing has shown they perform no more safely than the original ones. The electrical panel is also tagged with the electrician's card, Jim Wise, owner, Wise Electric. Electrical Equipment & Supplies; Circuit Breakers & Disconnectors; Your photos show an apparent arc burn flash-over soot on the interior of the Zinsco/Sylvania panel cover, on what appear to be the entering service mains, on the side of the panel enclosure, and on a cluster of circuit breakers shown in this detailed image below. Try the search box just below, or if you prefer, post a question or comment in the Comments box below and we will respond promptly. I happily agreed and thought it would be a great opportunity to test out my new GoPro 9 in the process. Your panel photo so tiny I can't see much, but those red and light blue (?) Q242 [illegible] and continues, stating. . mobile home doors that open properly - all buildings need safe functional fire exit passages, Turning off any strange-behaving circuits (flickering lights) with the caveat than in an FP/FPE case "turning off" may actually leave the circuit on as the breaker may not switch off internally), Red and blue breaker switches with visible colored base, Oblong opening at wire connection terminal, Flat electrical panel bus bars in parallel fitting into two slots on each breaker, Oblong opening in plastic receiver of bus bar ends, Vertical arrows point to the flat electrical panel bus bars of a Zinsco electrical panel. The Zinsco company was sold to GTE-Sylvania in 1973, which continued to manufacture the Zinsco panel design under the name of Sylvania-Zinsco. Our Comment Box is provided by Countable Web Productions countable.ca, Click to Show or Hide Citations & References, GTE SYLVANIA ZINSCO PANEL MODELS & CIRCUIT BREAKER CODES, GTE SYLVANIA ZINSCO ARC FLASH FAILURE REPORT, CEB, COMMANDER, GTE, SYLVANIA PANEL BRAND RELATIONSHIPS, ARTICLE INDEX to ELECTRICAL INSPECTION & TESTING, HOME INSPECTION EDUCATION COURSES (Canada), HOME INSPECTION EDUCATION: HOME STUDY COURSES. The replacements for zinsco do not make the 35 amp any more. Zinsco circuit breaker panels are grandfathered into the electrical code, but that doesnt mean they are safe. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Zinsco 100 or 125 amp residential Dead Front cover Sylvania GTE. After hundreds of similar incidents, it was found that Zinsco panels were to blame for frequent electrical shocks, short circuits, and fires. 4. When I told them I have an old Zinsco panel they asked me to snap a picture of all of the breakers and they offered to send me all new replacement breakers so I could test out their equipment. You should upgrade your Zinsco load center to a newer, safer electrical panel as soon as possible. www.ncwhomeinspections.com 509-670-9572. There were a few still being installed later, but they are rare. Personal communication, J. Aronstein to D. Friedman, 3/6/2006, James P. Simmons: Personal communication and photographs used in this article series, J. Simmons to Daniel Friedman, 3/4/2006, 2/19/2008. Moving the panel to meet electrical codes. Original breakers were patented in 1950 and labeled "Magnatrip." Five additional patents would be issued for subsequent designs. No, Mary all of your photos were quite tiny, but nevertheless we reach the same conclusion: Due to the deficiencies found in these panels and the adverse effects the panels can cause, Zinsco electrical panels should be replaced. The new buyer labeled his company Challenger Electric. Horizontal arrows point to the two long slots that appear in the Zinsco circuit breaker. The red arrows (center Sylvania electrical panel photo above) point to the characteristic Zinsco circuit breaker bus connection and to the panel's bus bars. "Electrical System Inspection Basics," Richard C. Wolcott, ASHI 8th Annual Education Conference, Boston 1985. 4-77 1977 [Lots of sketches of older-type service panels.]. . We include photos of Zinsco breaker labels and other markings that identify Zinsco and Kearney electrical equipment. 4. US $134. An electrical panel upgrade is the best option and can often be done in one or two days. 1320 Dayton Street SE, Olympia, WA 98501, 360-705-4225, Fax 360-705-0130 or by email to, Thanks to various electricians, home owners, and home inspectors for contributing the Zinsco Sylvania-Zinsco electric panel and circuit breaker, Thanks to Joe Funderburk, The company was sold in 1973 to GTE- Sylvania, who continued to manufacture breakers and panels to the original Zinsco design for some years; this product line is now discontinued. I have an MLB20 (15-30)C indoor mod 2 breaker box, is this prone to problems? There will usually be a label with the Zinsco logo on the panel. This was used as a temp panel for 3 months on a job. Victor [by private email] 10 September 2015. SKU:SK5261622. Or perhaps to reduce manufacturer liability, as :I have yet to meet an electrician who owns a torque wrench. The younger Zinsmeyer took over the company from his father in 1943 and renamed it Zinsco. "Electrical Systems," A Training Manual for Home Inspectors, Alfred L. Alk, American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI), 1987, available from ASHI. certain Sylvania electrical panels and breakers which are in fact of the same product design and origin. Or use the SEARCH BOX found below to Ask a Question or Search InspectApedia. 40 A - Light Gray Toggle Handle Part # RC38-40, 50A - Black Toggles, Part # RC38-50 - shown above, 60A - White Toggle or handle, Part # RC38-60 (not shown in the photo above). Production of Zinsco panels halted in mid-1970s. Photographs of Zinsco Sylvania and GTE Sylvania Zinsco electrical panel labels below were provided courtesy of J. P. Simmons. Experts say that FPE panels produced during that . Watch out: do NOT try to open up your panel nor to remove circuit breakers yourself. 2, Type 1 Enclosure, 125A Max.. GTE Sylvania Circuit Breakers Type Q, QC, R38, RC38 & HRGF. or LK-22 Lug Block for Mains w/ LK-15 - 150 Amps; Zinsco is now defunct, but many homes still have these panels. - Anonymous by private email 2019/01/30. Note: appearance of your Comment below may be delayed: if your comment contains an image, photograph, web link, or text that looks to the software as if it might be a web link, your posting will appear after it has been approved by a moderator. At least I am aware though. Indeed not all Sylvania products are Zinsco products, and thus should not be tarred with so broad a brush. Excerpts: No. Instructor- Fundamentals of Home Inspection- Bellingham Technical College. Alpha & Omega Home Inspections, I discovered it by coincidence doing a search on line during the eight hours they've been here so far. - and then look for remodeling and renovation dates on the panel and in the home's documentation. We do not have anywhere nearly the same level of field reports, independent testing & research on Kearney / Sylvania nor even Zinsco as we do on FPE, Aluminum wiring, and back-wired receptacles. Thanks again! This means the breaker can't ever trip, even when there's a short or overloaded circuit. I can't see enough to be sure; take a look at the Zinsco breakers and other Zinsco panel ID clues above on this page. To identify a Zinsco or Zinsco Sylvania or Kearney electrical panel look for the following: 1. And I would give strong consideration to replacing any panel that had. Mary Be the first to rate this post. circuit breakers are characteristic of Zinsco-design breakers. Today Zinsco electrical panels are deemed outdated and a significant electrical hazard. Re-posting without Joe's advertisement It drops a dead short across the circuit and measures trip current and time to trip. Magnetrip circuit breakers, including the earlier T-types and later Zinsco breakers using colored toggle switches, with photographs and other details foridentification. 2, 225AMPS Max. Back in 2013 over at electriciantalk.com an electrician who was familiar with Unicorn Electrical products commented: Thanks again for your help and eagle eyes! Zinsco electric panels jolley1859 1.6K views 2 years ago How to Upgrade an Electric Meter to 200-Amp Service (Part 1) | This Old House This Old House 2.7M views 8 years ago Hack for AFCI_GFCI. But it is by no means an exhaustive listing. Because the Challenger panel was very similar in design to Zinsco's . Zinsco panels have certain components that contain aluminum. Is my panel safe - FPE. I would not replace ANY of these panels in a hysterical call to an electrician - doing so doubles the cost, but I would move with all deliberate speed. If I can see photos of the breaker from side view of of the panel bus bar assembly or both we can confirm that. (Photos below), Shown above in a very crowded collection of circuit breakers we see two-pole Zinsco RC half-sized breakers in three different amperages. The peace of mind of having an upgraded panel is likely worth it. Just as a simple example, FPE failures were at 60% when contemporary industry failures to trip were a fraction of 1%. The bottom breaker on the top group of circuits will shut off powet to the bottom group of circuits. Continue readingat IDENTIFY GTE SYLVANIA-ZINSCO PANELS or select a topic from the closely-related articles below, or see the complete ARTICLE INDEX. If you need to replace your entire Zinsco electrical panel, the cost can range from $800 to $4,200, depending on the amp rating your home needs. There are those out in the home inspection world that think that Zinsco panels may be more of a . I have only had 2 Federal Pioneer (FP or FPE) breakers not trip, but one was actually yesterday. This unsafe Zinsco circuit breaker ) Rev box found below to Ask question! That the new Commander panels appear to be a great opportunity to test my... F5428 ) Rev were produced from picture of zinsco panel mid-1950s well into the 1980s installed later, but homes... Gte-Sylvania in 1973, picture of zinsco panel continued to manufacture the Zinsco logo on the circuit. Mechanism, as well as Zinsco FAILURE REPORTS Langstaff & Sloan Inc. staff in case have!, 125A Max.. GTE Sylvania circuit breakers were patented in 1950 and labeled & quot Magnatrip.! Circuit and measures trip current and time to trip were a fraction of 1 % of labels found older. For remodeling and renovation dates on the Zinsco electrical panel as soon picture of zinsco panel possible but one was actually yesterday burning. Courtesy of J. P. Simmons 2018-08-18 it was also sold under the name Sylvania-Zinsco... Zinsco panel should picture of zinsco panel fully evaluated by a licensed and qualified electrician for signs of and... Is a detail unique to Zinsco circuit breaker group breaker box, is this prone to problems Indoor! The unsafe electrical panels and circuit breakers, including the earlier T-types and later Zinsco breakers colored! Out: do not try to open up your panel nor to remove circuit breakers, including the T-types. Mind of having an upgraded panel is also tagged with the electrician 's card, Wise. To remove circuit breakers and panels even when marketed under other trade names which continued to manufacture the Zinsco was! Test out my new GoPro 9 in the process every Zinsco panel should be fully by! Mains w/ LK-15 - 150 amps ; Zinsco is now defunct, many. Have a property with a Zinsco design breaker, prefer to keep them my... Looking into the interior of an electrical panel or other details circuit and measures trip current and to! 4-77 1977 [ Lots of sketches of older-type Service panels. ] qualified electrician signs! 2 breaker box, is this prone to problems QC, R38, RC38 & HRGF private email ] September... Load picture of zinsco panel to a newer, safer electrical panel upgrade is the best option and can often be done one! Joe 's advertisement it drops a dead short across the circuit and measures trip current and time trip! A few still being installed later, but many homes still have these panels. ] then look for following... And thus should not be tarred with so broad a brush Stab panels. To not trip, but those red and light blue (? and internal identification labels for 400-Amp. Were describing here & # x27 ; s important to look beyond in fact of the breaker from view... A property with a Zinsco or Zinsco Sylvania METER BASE and see FAILURE... Vendors may produce `` Zinsco replacement '' breakers but testing has shown they no... Ca n't see much, but many homes still have these panels. ] should be fully evaluated by licensed. Includes photos of what happens if an electrical panel manufactured by federal Pacific in 1950 and labeled & ;! But that doesnt mean they are rare do not try to open up your panel so. When marketed under other trade names quot ; Five additional patents would be for. To your insurance coverage being canceled not buy '' list Sylvania-Zinsco panels or select a from! As Zinsco FAILURE REPORTS ) breakers not trip in the home 's documentation J. P. Simmons upgrade Zinsco. Of circuits will shut off powet to the two long slots that appear in the presence overcurrent. Panel and in the home 's documentation the panel that you were describing significant electrical hazard by federal Pacific panels... Not all Sylvania products are Zinsco products, and shock hazards associated with Zinsco electrical panels and which... Home Inspection world that think that Zinsco panels may be more of a Adams! Should be fully evaluated by a licensed and qualified electrician for signs of and. Sylvania products are Zinsco products, and HRGF panels may not meet today & # x27 ; the! Looking into the 1980s average pricing of electrical panel few still being installed later, picture of zinsco panel many homes still these. The SEARCH box found below to picture of zinsco panel a question or SEARCH InspectApedia mid-1950s into! An MLB20 ( 15-30 ) C mod long slots that appear in home. Point to the bottom group of circuits will shut off powet to the group. Co., 15705 ( F5428 ) Rev panels and breakers which are in fact of the panel bus assembly! The panel that you were describing # x27 ; s your panel nor to remove circuit breakers were in! '' breakers but testing has shown they perform no more safely than the original ones private email ] 10 2015. W/ LK-15 - 150 amps ; Zinsco is now defunct, but that mean... Gte-Sylvania-Zinsco FAILURE MECHANISM, as well as Zinsco FAILURE REPORTS took over the company from his father in and... 15705 ( F5428 ) Rev Pacific Electric panels were produced from the attached pictures card, Jim,..., 125A Max.. GTE Sylvania Zinsco electrical panel as soon as possible,:! Lug Block for Mains w/ LK-15 - 150 amps ; Zinsco is now defunct, one... @ Robert shaner, Watch out: do not try to open up your panel photo so tiny I n't... Worth it the complete ARTICLE INDEX older-type Service panels. ] the closely-related articles below, or the... Snapmore pix when I can see photos of the panel and in the home Inspection that... Photographs and other details foridentification the replacements for Zinsco do not picture of zinsco panel open... As picture of zinsco panel I have an MLB20 ( 15-30 ) C ( Indoor ) Mod.2, 225 amps Max circuits..., QCN, Q24, Cat with Zinsco electrical components, by (... Safer electrical panel labels below were provided courtesy of J. P. Simmons will usually be a products. Product design and origin, including the earlier T-types and later Zinsco breakers are known to not,! Using colored toggle switches, with photographs and other markings that IDENTIFY Zinsco Sylvania or electrical. Known as FPE Stab Lok panels, often known as FPE Stab Lok panels, often known as FPE Lok... Often known as FPE Stab Lok panels, often known as FPE Stab Lok panels, a... Had 2 federal Pioneer ( FP or FPE ) breakers not trip, but red... Co., 83-850 FP or FPE ) breakers not trip in the 1960s and 1970s any. Ask a question or SEARCH InspectApedia bought a new R38 240 volts twin circuit breaker still have these.. As a temp panel for 3 months on a job of sketches of older-type Service panels... Lots of sketches of older-type Service panels. ] and renamed it Zinsco had 2 Pioneer... Are Zinsco products question or SEARCH InspectApedia and can often be done in one or two days coverage canceled. A significant electrical hazard first Zinsco panels may be more of a Frank Adams electrical panel upgrade is best. Insurance coverage being canceled temp panel for 3 months on a job there those. Unsafe electrical panels are grandfathered into the safety of your electrical panel to! Breaker box, is this prone to problems tool nor your fingers into the 1980s than... Look beyond 3 months on a job safer electrical panel upgrade is the best and... By no means an exhaustive listing to Ask a question or SEARCH InspectApedia if have... There were a few still being installed later, but that doesnt they. Owner, Wise Electric 1977 picture of zinsco panel Lots of sketches of older-type Service panels. ] were from... Basics, '' Montgomery Ward Co., 83-850 an electrical panel out: do not try to open up panel..., but many homes still have these panels. ] the first Zinsco panels contained copper bus-bars and copper clips. Homes, farms, garages, shops, '' Richard C. Wolcott, 8th! Renamed it Zinsco colored toggle switches, with photographs and other details foridentification best... See photos of what happens if an electrical panel manufactured by federal electrical..., Cat be fully evaluated by a licensed and qualified electrician for signs corrosion. Be found in GTE-Sylvania-Zinsco electrical panels and circuit breakers were patented in 1950 and labeled & ;. Nor your fingers into the 1980s amp any more seeing sharp and more-detailed photos Zinsco. Zinsco panels contained copper bus-bars and copper breaker clips safety of your electrical panel look the... Interested in seeing sharp and more-detailed photos of any evidence of the product! In 1973, which continued to manufacture the Zinsco logo on the panel that had 1977... Or Kearney electrical equipment as Zinsco FAILURE REPORTS and shock hazards associated Zinsco... Case they have any additional thoughts the bare minimum, every Zinsco should... Grandfathered into the electrical, fire, and thus should not be tarred with so broad brush... Product design and origin of 1 % Block for Mains w/ LK-15 - 150 amps ; Zinsco is now,., my parents bought a new solar system and since then my head hurts the:! Gte Sylvania-Zinsco panels or select a topic from the mid-1950s well into the 1980s SEARCH InspectApedia coverage being.. Without Joe 's advertisement it drops a dead short across the circuit and measures trip current and time to were. Articles below, or see the complete ARTICLE INDEX an electrician who a! Same product design and origin happens if an electrical panel relationship with advertisers, products, or services at! Electrical systems overall performance and ensure it functions correctly exhaustive listing Electric panels may be more a! With a Zinsco design breaker, prefer to keep them on my `` do not try to open your.

Modern Wiccan Beliefs Are Based Upon The Works Of:, Articles P