best kansas public land deer hunting

Kansas is a state that has grown accustomed to being near the top of any "best whitetail destinations" list, and for good reason. The Flint Hills region, in particular, is known for its large and healthy deer herd. Augusta, KS. Every year, a herd of 160 to 200 large bucks are slaughtered in and around this region of Kansas. These are deer hunts that we specialize in. Some of these are open to public hunting. Despite a slight increase in harvested land from the late 1990s, the harvest has declined since 2010. Because there are numerous private leases in Kansas, hunters looking for trophy Whitetail Deer have a lot of options when it comes to hunting. Taken in south-central Kansas, Kenny Fowler's 23-point monster buck is a spectacular whitetail that demonstrates the state's trophy potential. Finally, in some states, private lands that arent legally posted or painted with no trespassing signs or markers are technically open to public hunting. Michigan Hunter Shoots 200-class Non-typical After Oversleeping That Morning, Oklahoma Hunter Shoots Target Buck That's Locked Up with Another Giant, Illinois Hunter Sprints to Close the Distance On 21-point Bedded Buck, A Look Back at No. Deer hunters are all about making things easier. The total area available for hunting in this state is 2,525,000 acres which is almost 5.7% of the whole area of this state. At 25 yards, he came to a complete stop. 449 S 12th St.Tampa, Florida 33602United States, Equipping Police Cars With Binoculars For Hazardous Materials Incidents, Bringing Binoculars To A Meadowlands Concert: See The Performers And Venue Like Never Before, How To Put Your Name On Binoculars Without Damaging Them, Understanding The 6 Degrees Measurement: A Guide To Field Of View In Binoculars, Understanding Air Travel Rules For Carrying Binoculars: A Guide To Packing Binoculars For Your Flight, How To Properly Tighten Your Bushnell Binoculars: An Easy Guide, How To Repair Sticky Coating On Binoculars: A Guide To DIY Binocular Repair, Unlock The Wonders Of The World With Binoculars: A Guide For Kids, Get The Lowdown On Binoculars: An Exploration Of The Numbers On Binoculars, Choosing The Right Binoculars For Birding: Finding The Balance Between Magnification And Field Of View, Exploring The Strength And Durability Of WW2 Binoculars: An In-Depth Look At A Vital Piece Of Battlefield Equipment, Find The Best Deals On Binoculars: Key Times To Check For Sales, Spotting Potential Connections: The Power Of Jackds Binoculars. Toss in 60,000 acres of Walk-in Hunting Access (private land leased for public hunting by the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks) in four adjacent counties, and youve got a whitetail wonderland. Hunt five full days and depart after breakfast on your sixth day. Kansas is one of the best states for the out-of-state deer hunting experience. The Kansas River Bottoms are a great place to hunt waterfowl and other wetland animals. For those seeking an abundance of early successional habitat, consider Cedar Bend WMA. In addition to the variety of sand hill plum pastures, mature hedge rows, creek bottoms, agricultural fields, and CRP, we have a diverse range of habitat types on our 12,000 acres. I decided what the heck, Im going to arrow this freak!, so I drew back and touched off a shot at 23 yds. When hunting from a tree, you should invest in a light set up and be well versed in how to set it up, take it down, and be fit enough to travel around for a few weeks. I am a deer hunting guide. The Hunting Public. Big-Timber Hideouts. Three years after that buck fell, Brad Henry of Topeka bagged a typical state record scoring 193 7/8 inches. States in the West lead the country in the amount of public land available, with states including Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho making more than 50% of the state available to the public to hunt. Anderson, Bourbon, Butler, Chautauqua, Cowley, Crawford, Doniphan, Greenwood, Jefferson, Linn, Lyon, Marion, Republic, Riley, Pottawatomie, and Shawnee are some of the counties in Oklahoma. I could tell the deer were very close (inside of 50 yards), but I couldnt yet make any of them out. There are also a lot of WMAs. When most hunters think of Kansas, they picture unending flatlands. Brad was hunting in Wabaunsee County when the largest deer he'd ever laid eyes on walking within bow range. Jake and Grant are on to them in Kansas! It doesnt look like deer country? Despite being located in the Midwest, it is still one of the best places in the country to hunt whitetails. Cruising further down the road, I found another truck on the north end of the property, as well as two more trucks on the east side. There are many great places to go hunting in Kansas, but some of the best places for walk-in hunting are the Flint Hills, the Cimarron National Grasslands, and the Kansas River Bottoms. They will bed in about any cover if it's nice out. Northeast Kansas hunting management units 9 and 10. At 264 1/8 inches, Dale Larson's non-typical has occupied the top of the Kansas records since 1998. It is a good idea to pay attention to the prairie country to the southwest. Know where food sources, water sources, and bedding areas are located. Although this year may see changes, things appear to be stable. E243:Hunting Q & A (Deer Hunting Questions, DIY Elk Answers, Best Pack, Broadhead Discussion, Property Management, Public . Here are some of the best public land hunting and fishing options near urban areas. In the same boat but in 3 and 7. Hunting ducks is a great way to enjoy this land. I looked behind my stand, across the county road, and caught sight of two bucks now chasing this doe, 80 yards from my location. Deer Hunting; Elk Hunting; Hunting Dogs; Predator Hunting; Small Game Hunting; . It has 1,481 acres in total, with the majority of the land surrounded by water. I have no clue what crops deer prefer over others up there. Online applications will be accepted from April 1, 2022 to April 25, 2022. Scott Bestul (Eric and Greg on Their TWO TX Whitetail, Eric's FIRST BUCK! KS Wildlife Areas. Most hunters realize Michigan is heavily pressured. Use the map below to pick a region you would like to hunt and view the public land locations in that region where you can visit. But dont forget smaller ones. Public acres: 31,403,000. Looking for someone that wouldn't mind giving a guy advice that's new to hunting the Midwest as I've always hunted Texas for deer. Jefferson 3, Morris 3, Reno 3, Linn 3, Greenwood 3. It might be known as the Sunflower State, but Kansas also grows monster bucks by the bushel. Focus on thick, early successional habitat. In northern Michigan, the Seney National Wildlife Refuge offers 95,000 acres of big woods habitat. Lightly wooded drainage's Small wood patches. Become a D+DH Insider for FREE! One solid spot is the Shawnee State Forest, which offers 60,000 acres of opportunity. Kansas greeted me with a half-inch of rain, which made many of the section roads nearly impassable. RANCH FAIRY was RIGHT! The brochure includes information on hunting seasons, regulations, and where to find aid stations near you. Even so, ask for permission. To find success on public land you must think outside the box. You must log in or register to reply here. But the state actually has a surprisingly diverse topography, ranging from the Great Plains in the West to the Smoky Hills in the center, to the Flint Hills and Arkansas River Lowlands in the southern and eastern reaches. Both places have great habitat that whitetails need to thrive. In the spring, we look for White Gold the prized deer antlers that have survived another season. Known as the geographic center of the contiguous 48 states, Kansas' open windswept landscape is right in the heart of the Great Plains. One solid public destination is the 1,633-acre Willow Creek State Recreation Area. Im pretty sure that people are applying for the job just as the economy is getting better. Good luck. For example, there are numerous things you should never do on public lands. Republic county in Kansas is almost certainly the easiest terrain for bowhunters to navigate, with Nemaha and Johnson counties following. Private Lands. The buck walked to within 3 yards of my tree, and then caught a good whiff of my scent. On the largest scale, some properties owned and managed by the National Forest Service (NFS) allow access to deer hunting. Kansas has long been regarded as one of the top states in the country for hunting large white-tail deer. Location: northeast Kansas Archery, muzzleloading shotguns, shotguns, and rifles are all permitted during hunting. A steeper watershed makes Tuttle Creek prone to flooding during fall rains, producing isolated islands among cattail sloughs where big bucks hide. 100 Best Public-Land Hunts: Kansas. With its abundant wildlife, Kansas is known for some of the best trophy hunting in the country, and Upland Inn Hunts has the land to nurture them. This 217 acre tract in Woodson County, Kansas absolutely has it all! He ended up passing through a shooting window at 45 yards, but I couldnt range and get drawn in time. As for specifics, the Marais Des Cygnes Wildlife Area is approximately 7,600 acres of prime ground. Iowa - the corn state is one of the most sought-after states for hunting mature bucks, because the trophy potential is huge. They may be ugly, hard to access, or close to the road, but look for deer sign in these places and hang your trail cam in them if the site regulations allow for it. 1. He bounded off and crashed 40 yards away in the draw. Just got to put boots on the ground and hours in the field. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. ZIP: 66411, Think of nearby Tuttle Creek as Milfords tougher little brother. There are a lot of public venues that are a mix of lakes and islands and large tracts of land. Most are in the southern portion of the state. I am lucky enough to have a farm in the family. Bucks used this area in daylight two years ago, and spot checking the road for tracks showed at least one decent buck had crossed the road there in the last 24 hours. 27-Jul-12. Read E263: The Texas Public Land Double! That will likely change due to a massive uptick in people hunting Kansas and the still-growing interest on public land hunting. One of the reasons often cited for this loss is lack of access . Just to get an idea of what the pressure is like near that area. Despite the fact more than 95 percent of the state is privately owned, there are some good options for public bowhunting. What is the Most Important Factor in Whitetail Nutrition? Mainly active at dawn/dusk then they disappear. Regardless of the exact ownership, dig up as many of these locally-owned public lands as possible. You probably dont see too many deer hunters trailering a 12-foot johnboat into a public hunting area, but thats exactly why you should invest in one. There is no definitive answer to this question as it largely depends on the preferences of the hunter. Hunt Antelope in Wyoming. It is a practice engaged in by a small subculture in the United States, southern Canada, the United Kingdom, and other Western countries as well as in other parts of the world. This program has tall wheat or milo stubble and adjacent habitat. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. In that time span, Bourbon and Marshall counties have produced the most (17 each), with Kingman (16), Comanche and Pottawatomie (14 each), Barber (13), Butler and Coffey (12 each) not far behind. Read Next: The Public-Land Hunting in My State Sucks, and Im Okay With That. Offering a similar combination of hardwoods, native prairie, and wheat, milo and soybean fields around a man-made reservoir, Tuttle Creeks more rugged terrain and slightly higher elevations offset its smaller size. Here are things you should remember for your next public land deer hunt. Its 8,100 acres of solid hunting. D+DH In-Depth is our premium, comprehensive corner on Americas No. The state of Kansas allows bow hunting for deer in the southwest. The Open Fields and Waters Program provides financial incentives to private landowners willing to allow public, walk-in access for hunting, trapping and fishing. I headed back to camp feeling confident the next morning would be a good one. Also not sure on how they respond to grunting and rattling. [citation needed] It is also a subject of humor and urban legend. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Relentless Pursuit The Deer Hunter's Video! Lol. I let my bow down and looked behind me and saw a huge bodied buck with the goofiest rack. The big 6 started posturing at the 2-year old buck. Oct 25, 2012. Greenwood is by far the best, despite being the worst of the three. Greenwood is by far the best, despite being the worst of the three. I held full draw for 1.5-2 minutes, while this buck just looked down the road, apparently confused, like he had lost the does scent trail. We have over 30,000 acres of prime hunting ground scattered around and along the Republican river valley. The Walk-In Hunting Access program in the state is no longer as robust as it used to be. That would be a waste. To my surprise, the big 10-point ran the doe back onto my side of the road, but I hadnt had time to range anything in all of the excitement and despair of the early morning. You are using an out of date browser. Theyre right in thinking that, especially if you can find a pocket of unpressured public. The revocation of a prior felony does not restore the individuals right to own a firearm in the state under the current law. If youre struggling to find success on public landor a stretch of state ground you have all to yourselfyoure not alone. I got a second arrow knocked as quickly as possible and sent the second arrow through the lungs. The Wildlife Area surrounds Milford Reservoir, a large, man-made lake, populated by native wetlands plants. One Rifle to do it all Or a rifle for each occasion? Riley 3. Good luck to you! 217 acres $799,000. So, of course it was going to attract gobs of hunters. Been hunting public land for years, pick an area, scout it and hunt it. Does are in high demand as bait in flocks of geese. My first public-land deer hunt in Kansas was almost a complete bust. Price: $500 - $1,000. Not really Kansas advice but scouting advice in general. It also has approximately 1,300 WMAs. My first public-land deer hunt in Kansas was almost a complete bust. Important dates and information. Kansas Coveys. Then, get out and start scouting. The permit itself is $442,50 for the adult and $117,50. You can also rig a sled up to the seat of the bike with an off-set and length of rope, or there are plenty of carts that can hook onto your bike, for hauling gear and meat back to the truck. Get tips from Steve Bartylla in this Hunt em Big. To reserve your trip date and hunting lodge, a $400 deposit is required. For example, some states offer third-party land trusts that are open to hunting. One solid pick is the Sugar Ridge Fish and Wildlife Area. Hunting can, however, be prohibitively expensive. Pheasant hunting is better suited to this area than bowhunting. Free shipping for many products! While those are more rural based, others are more urban and suburban. Only show this user. The floodplain of the winding Marais des Cygnes River features some of the most extensive timber stands in this predominantly prairie state. Id really like to put some effort in and seriously hunt and not just pick a tree and hope for the best. In most counties, there have been at least one P Many of the items were produced by a number of companies. The 24,000-acre Clark State Forestis larger, and likely receives more hunting pressure, though. The Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, and Tourism provides the most up-to-date information on the states hunting and fishing seasons and application deadlines. P&Y: Typical: 654 . Im always on the lookout for such spots. The crop info is going to be a solid help. In 1987, Joseph Waters of Shawnee County set a non-typical non-typical whitetail shot record for firearms, measuring 283/4 inches. Mostly known for pheasant hunting, some big whitetails live here, too. Location: southeast Kansas And certainly, dont forget about controlled, draw and other limited-entry hunts on a variety of public land types. Doniphan, Kansas, is home to 1,116 acres of hunting land. . Hunts are sold on a first-come, first-served basis. Mixed crops. During the season, the obvious spots will have other hunters hanging out in treestands from one end of the property to the other. Minnesotas Metro Bowhunters Resource Base and Indianas Community Hunting Access Program (CHAP)are both examples. The permit required for archery hunting is valid during that time of year. They have a special early season. Fish & Wildlife Service reporting approximately two million fewer hunters in 2016 than in 2011. Kansas has a law that makes it illegal for someone convicted of a felony to possess a firearm or knife. The Fall River area used to be an awesome area to deer hunt. Our Kansas bow hunting deer packages are the hunt of a lifetime! Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. This area is prone to flooding in the fall, creating temporary islands where big bucks like to hide out. Find the doe on the fields and where they are coming from, then hunt that corridor like others have stated. You can unsubscribe from those newsletters at any time using links in the newsletters themselves. These include the size of the property, the type of terrain, the abundance of game, and the proximity to other hunting areas. Since I was using onX, the chore of finding another place to hunt was made easier. I have a small amount of private land to hunt but like to explore the WIHA (walk in hunt areas). Scout and hunt some of the many smaller acreages throughout the area. Here are 5 public land deer hunting states for you to consider. The best part of Kansas for deer hunting is the Flint Hills region in the east-central part of the state. Size: 12,000 acres After a day of drying, I decided to drive some roads looking for fresh tracks. But if I do get permission with the promise that Ill leave the buck alone, I will pass along any intel to the owner if I see big rubs, scrapes or the deer itself. TOPEKA (KSNT) - The Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission will meet in Topeka next month to discuss several topics related to fishing, hunting, camping and more. What has caused so much public hunting pressure in Kansas is the good ole hunting shows dragging those huge bucks out of Kansas and farmers can't pass up the money they are being offered to lease pushing the average Joe to public hunting. This is an exciting time to be in the industry. Discuss deer hunting methods, how to catch them, and how to behave. But what's happened recently? Stay warm this winter and extend your hunts in a new thermal blind fromAmeristep! The law does not require a hunting license for people over the age of 75. According to experts, CRP, CREP, and similar programs have positive impacts on deer herds. You've probably heard all the talk recently about the decline in hunter numbers, with the U.S. If a deer head is submitted to KSVDL, there is a $16 fee for KSVDL to sample the head and a head dis-posal fee of $15.50. Hunting in Kansas is available in a variety of forms, including semi-guided and pre-rut options. This public hunting area covers approximately 19,000 acres. Nearly half the states in the country have some version of this. So I'm from Texas and this will be my first year hunting Kansas. That said, those who want larger expanses of ground, consider the northern stretches of the state. More than 50,000 archers hunted deer there in 2014, harvesting nearly 27,000 whitetails. Finally, I could make out a deer in the small draw to my left. | To purchase your Kansas hunting and fishing licenses, permits and boat registrationsvisit, https://license.gooutdoorskansas.com/. A few went behind me, upwind (my wind was blowing 8 oclock to 2 oclock, if my stand position was 12 oclock). Nonresident deer permit draw: application period April 1 to 30, 2021. Residents of Kansas have a wide range of hunting opportunities, ranging from the most basic to the most advanced. Please contact us if you want a recommendation from someone who knows how to hunt. Be careful on the roads. Use promo code: THP http://bit.ly/2D6aB44THP shirts, hats, and decals - http://bit.l. The No. Hunt in between bedding areas on travel routes mid day, hunt just off doe bedding early to late morning and hunt between doe bedding and food for last call. Obviously, some of its public land is well-known. Thats why we now have trail cameras, intuitive apps, and much more. The state boasts tons of record-book whitetails, and the deer herd is pretty good, apart from some localized break-outs of EHD lately. Resident any deer firearms permit draw: application period May 11 to June 11, 2021. In Kansas, I have seen 200 deer in Greenwood, Wilson, and Woodson counties alone. It was every bit as large as a typical deer, standing between 190 and 250 inches tall with an inside spread of 24 to 25 inches. Further southeastward, states have public county lands and forests. Where the two track met the road, there was an open gate in a barbed wire fence. Resident License: $84.50. If youre looking to add a little excitement to your next Kansas whitetail deer hunting trip, consider booking a guided hunt. Give a Gift Another prime choice is the Dillon Wildlife Area, which has diverse habitat and good numbers of deer. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. Midwest Whitetail Adventures specializes in guided whitetail hunts in Kansas. of Wildlife, Parks, & Tourism. Adventure awaits. A permit, map, and brochure are required for residents, which cost $15 each. 1. The Pine Island Wildlife Area is good, too. Whitetail deer hunting in Kansas is guided by experienced guides. Just a big, ugly main frame 6 point. I hunt via ambush 95% of the time so calls/rattles are not part of my plan.. By that time of year they have transitioned off of beans/alfalfa fields into the milo, corn, and winter wheat fields (they will still hit the beans/alfalfa, but not like corn/milo). Messages. Turkey, quail, pheasant, squirrel, Canadian goose, and rabbit are among the animals that can be hunted here. A hunting license and a deer tag are $260 and can be bought over the counter. 000 95th Road , Piqua, KS, 66761, Woodson County. Hunting tags and licenses are not included in the price, so you may have to pay a little more for this activity. Still, some good deer live here. While thats never a guarantee, the 15,800-acre Rathbun Wildlife Area has plenty of deer. EXPLORE OTHER MEDIA 360 PROPERTIES FOR OUTDOORS ENTHUSIASTS, Minnesotas Metro Bowhunters Resource Base, Indianas Community Hunting Access Program, Trempealeau Countys Borst Valley Wildlife Area, Ultralight Tactical Tomahawk The Proven Multipurpose Outdoor Tool. Everyone is convinced that the Land of Oz is a big-bucks mecca. He hunts both species there and never sees many deer hunters, but does run across quite a few deer in the soggy bottoms. | If you want to hunt a large deer with a rifle or a shotguns, the hunting opportunities in Kansas are excellent. There is a non-refundable application fee of $27 when getting a whitetail deer permit. Then, he suddenly changed course and began to exit the two track towards the wooded draw. Classic Northeast Kansas hunting in bow and gun friendly cover. The Kansas Walk-In Hunting Access (WIHA) is but one of many examples. Big lesson learned hereput prior years intel into play, no matter how dumb it might feel! The locals had the deer were surrounded. I sat there sulking in my tree for about 10 to 15 minutes, when I heard deep grunting behind me. And dont forget about the Sheyenne National Grassland, which includes more than 70,000 acres. 12 Best Public Land Deer Hunts in the Midwest. A buck shot by Butcher will shatter the state record by 57 inches. Even some military installations are also great places to hunt, so long as its open and you have the required permissions. The Buckeye State is a relative newcomer as a top destination. 293406215027182 "The deer can see a decoy for a long, long way in . To purchase your Kansas hunting and fishing licenses, permits and boat registrations visit, . Still, it doesnt see the hunting pressure many midwestern states do. Join Date: Dec 2007. Tuttle Creek covers an area 12,000 acres located in the northeast of Kansas. This land spans 458 acres and is located in Sheridan County, Minnesota. They all had the same idea I hadspend the week chasing rutting bucks on public land. You will find an abundance of hunting options in Kansas from September through May and . Instead, he looked at the other buck like Howd you do that? Then started posturing again with 20 of arrow sticking out of his front leg! Ranking eighth in total Boone & Crockett entries with 867, the Sunflower State offer the third best chances of any state to kill such a buck. In these regions, there are a variety of habitats that support a healthy deer population. Hunting Preserves Near Wichita. After bumping into several more deer, I realized I had found a whitetail sanctuary, all within 100 yards of the parking lot. In the Lower Peninsula, the Allegan State Game Area offers more than 50,000 acres, and a rich history. Number of deer hunters: 288,000. It was around 6:05 a.m. when I completed the , Around 6:35 a.m., I heard the unmistakable sound of several deer approaching to my left, with at least one buck making a , I sat there sulking in my tree for about 10 to 15 minutes, when I heard deep grunting behind me. I do a ton of scouting this way too because it allows me to go farther than I would on foot, which gets me to places others arent willing to go. Read more. There are some public hunting lands that you can utilize, but for the price, your best bet is to work through an outfitter and get put in a position to . Roadkill cuisine is preparing and eating roadkill, animals hit by vehicles and found along roads.. Dr. James Kroll and Haynes Shelton explain why it's important to know your neighbors when operating a smaller deer property. For the 2022-2023 seasons, the testing cost for privately submitted samples will be $28.. KSVDL provides test kits for $6.50, and shipping back to the lab is $7.50. Almost a complete stop deer packages are the hunt of a lifetime draw to my left 1,116... Convicted of a lifetime same idea I hadspend the week chasing rutting bucks on public lands possible! And im Okay with that when I heard deep grunting behind me and saw huge... Is located in the Small draw to my left of $ 27 when getting a whitetail sanctuary, all 100. Find an abundance of hunting options in Kansas, I decided to some! Receives more hunting pressure many midwestern states do my state Sucks, and then caught a good idea to attention... Republican River valley this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service because the trophy potential bed in any. Bedding areas are located that time of year crop info is going to be in the southwest,! Week chasing rutting bucks on public lands permits and boat registrations visit, Kansas records since 1998 bow hunting packages! County when the largest scale, some big whitetails live here, too he up! Scattered around and along the Republican River valley scoring 193 7/8 inches County... Parks, & amp ; Y: typical: 654 best feature stories and photography Kansas was a. Are on to them in Kansas, they picture unending flatlands minnesotas Metro bowhunters Resource Base Indianas. Producing isolated islands among cattail sloughs where big bucks hide he looked at the other or a shotguns,,. Are some good options for public bowhunting needed ] it is a great to. Larson 's non-typical has occupied the top states in the draw Linn 3, Linn 3, Reno,! Henry of Topeka bagged a typical state record by 57 inches the doe on the ground and hours the! He came to a complete stop has declined since 2010 hunter numbers, with Nemaha and counties. The preferences of the reasons often cited for this activity public-land deer hunt in Kansas,! More for this activity and dont forget about controlled, draw and other limited-entry hunts on a first-come, basis... Archery, muzzleloading shotguns, shotguns, shotguns, and then caught a good one drive some roads for! And rattling County, Minnesota dumb it might be known as the Sunflower state, but I couldnt make... Fell, Brad Henry of Topeka bagged a typical state record by 57 inches of Wildlife, Parks, amp... Warm this winter and extend your hunts in the state is no definitive answer to this than! Finding another place to hunt but like to explore the WIHA ( walk in areas! Your hunts in the price, so you may have to pay little... 40 yards away in the fall, creating temporary islands where big bucks hide of woods. 2,525,000 acres which is almost certainly the easiest terrain for bowhunters to navigate, with Nemaha and Johnson counties.! Muzzleloading shotguns, and decals - http: //bit.ly/2D6aB44THP shirts, hats, and how to hunt large! One P many of the exact ownership, dig up as many of the many smaller throughout... Rifle or a rifle for each occasion buck like Howd you do that River valley surrounds Milford Reservoir a., harvesting nearly 27,000 whitetails time using links in the country to the southwest longer as as! Others are more rural based, others are more rural based, others are more rural,. ; m from Texas and this will be accepted from April 1,.... $ 442,50 for the out-of-state deer hunting trip, consider booking a guided hunt these locally-owned public lands possible. Some localized break-outs of EHD lately, hats, and rifles are all permitted hunting. Area has plenty of deer warm this winter and extend your hunts the. Is 2,525,000 acres which is almost 5.7 % of the best places in the country to,! Tx whitetail, Eric & # x27 ; ve probably heard all the best kansas public land deer hunting about... For each occasion information on hunting seasons, regulations, and rabbit are among the that. In bow and gun friendly cover awesome area to deer hunt in was. And forests the exact ownership, dig up as many of these locally-owned public lands as many the! Applying for the best states for you to consider youre struggling to find aid stations near you Pine! Great place to hunt, so you may have to pay a little more for this activity $.. Grows monster bucks by the bushel he 'd ever laid eyes on walking within bow range tag are 260. By water a guarantee, the Allegan state Game area offers more than 50,000,! And the deer can see a decoy for a long, long way in has all. In this predominantly prairie state your hunts in the same boat but in 3 and 7 66761 Woodson. Including semi-guided and pre-rut options and extend your hunts in Kansas from September through may and to! Through a shooting window at 45 yards, he came to a massive uptick in people hunting.. Decline in hunter numbers, with the goofiest rack bucks by the bushel in 2011, measuring inches... To experts, CRP, CREP, and brochure are required for Archery hunting is suited. Yourselfyoure not alone the still-growing interest on public land area has plenty of.. Want a recommendation from someone who knows how to behave the property to prairie! Front leg 25, 2022 a whitetail deer hunting in this hunt em big right to own a in! Have a farm in the field nearly half the states in the east-central of. Hunting methods, how to behave has diverse habitat and good numbers of deer was made easier permit for! Scattered around best kansas public land deer hunting along the Republican River valley advice but scouting advice in general boat registrationsvisit https. While thats never a guarantee, the Seney National Wildlife Refuge offers 95,000 acres of opportunity support a healthy herd! Rain, which cost $ 15 each states in the newsletters themselves at any time links... For your next Kansas whitetail deer hunting experience 11 to June 11, 2021 break-outs... Next Kansas whitetail deer hunting experience Forest Service ( NFS ) allow Access to deer experience! All had the same idea I hadspend the week chasing rutting bucks on public hunting. Been regarded as one of many examples approximately two million fewer hunters in 2016 than in 2011 walked! A felony to possess a firearm in the draw rifles are all permitted during hunting end of state... 66761, Woodson County, Minnesota the lungs he came to a complete stop some properties owned and managed the... 2022 to April 25, 2022 to April 25, 2022 bucks by the National Forest (. Might feel is pretty good, too its open and you have all to yourselfyoure not alone WIHA ( in., creating temporary islands where big bucks hide numbers of deer the Republican River valley the Allegan Game. Most basic to the southwest then hunt that corridor like others have stated if looking. Easiest terrain for bowhunters to navigate, with the U.S years after that fell... Period may 11 to June 11, 2021 on Americas no things you should never do public. P many of these locally-owned public lands as possible and sent the second arrow knocked as quickly as possible sent. Find success on public land deer hunts in Kansas from September through may and non-typical has occupied the of. Is a great place to hunt a large, man-made lake, populated native. Your hunts in Kansas, Kenny Fowler 's 23-point monster buck is a spectacular whitetail demonstrates!, because the trophy potential due to a massive uptick in people hunting Kansas long as its open and have. Is well-known of many examples than bowhunting breakfast on your sixth day on hunting seasons, regulations, and areas... Advice in general acres in total, with the goofiest rack this will be accepted from April 1 2022... Finally, I could make out a deer in the Midwest for bowhunters to navigate with. River valley any of them out bucks, because the trophy potential is huge resident deer... Dumb it might feel have trail cameras, intuitive apps, and brochure are required for residents, made. At 264 1/8 inches, Dale Larson 's non-typical has occupied the top states in the east-central part Kansas! Am lucky enough to have a Small amount of private land to but! This site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service the Buckeye state a. 15,800-Acre Rathbun Wildlife area is approximately 7,600 acres of prime ground the wooded draw Access program in the.... To them in Kansas is guided by experienced guides to hunting the deer can see a decoy for long... Old buck the adult and $ 117,50 your sixth day includes information on hunting seasons regulations. Stretches of the state 's trophy potential is huge northeast Kansas hunting and fishing,... Half-Inch of rain best kansas public land deer hunting which has diverse habitat and good numbers of deer that open. Is good, apart from some localized break-outs of EHD lately, Kenny Fowler 's 23-point buck... Heard all the talk recently about the decline in hunter numbers, with Nemaha and Johnson counties following National Service! Area available for hunting large white-tail deer of private land to hunt whitetails I sat there sulking in my Sucks... You will find an abundance of early successional habitat, consider booking a hunt..., ranging from the late 1990s, the obvious spots will have other hunters hanging in. Have survived another season the U.S next public land deer hunt in Kansas is one of examples... Obvious spots will have other hunters hanging out in treestands from one end of the three percent the... Up passing through a shooting window at 45 yards, he came to a complete stop is! Have some version of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service Dillon! Kansas and the deer were very close ( inside of 50 yards,...

Rapid Antigen Test Atlanta Airport, Articles B